Hello and welcome to the Global Lounge

"I would like to invite you to put your feet up for the next hour or so and join me for a musical journey from jazz to blues, folk to roots with all destinations in between...crossing oceans, borders and political boundaries to bring you music from around the world..."

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The womad accordion challenge....

Date: 29th April 2012

Playlist

Recorded performance track from Womadelaide 2012. Kimmo Pohjonen @Speakers Corner.
Keko - Kimmo Pohjonen album - Kluster 2005
Uniko Pt 1: Utu - Kimmo Pohjonen, Samuli Kosminen, The Kronos Quartet - al Uniko 2011
Uniko Pt 2: Plasma - Kimmo Pohjonen, Samuli Kosminen, The Kronos Quartet al - Uniko 2011
Quiver - KTU - al - Quiver 2009
Purga - KTU - al - Quiver 2009
Miasmaa - KTU -  al - Quiver 2009
Blind - Directions in Groove - al Clearlight 2011
I got burned - The Bamboos - al Medicine Man 2012 (release date 1st June) Pre order on Aus Itunes now.



Article from the The Australian newspaper about Kimmo Pohjonen date: 8th March 2012



I really wasn't a huge fan of traditional German style accordion music (known in our house as zicky tic..)
Unfortunately I had lumped all accordion music into this category (mostly) before Womad 2012.

I knew what was coming before we went to Womadelaide this year. I've christened it the "Year of the Accordion." Not strictly true although I was sure my perceptions of what "rates" as music I would listen to, were about to be challenged.

And challenged they were.

Coloured by the rose tinted "musical wonderment" glasses that the womad experience seems to slip on with my 4 day pass wrist band, I moved past my original bias and arrived in a new place.

I had an epiphany that began with Eddi Reader and the clever Alan Kelly and continued with Kimmo and others it turns out....
Colourful, emotional, challenging, interesting, dramatic, thought provoking, left brain music....

Accordion? Yes please. I'll listen to that....


Moving on to the new Bamboos album out soon. A regular Global Lounge fav...
Keep an eye out for Medicine Man - due 1st of June or thereabouts.. if you have Itunes you can preview the tracks before buying. Can't wait...!

 :)